Cabbage rice (also known as riced cabbage) is a quick, easy, and savory side dish and is a great alternative to cauliflower rice with only 7 net carbs! You can easily double it up for a full, satisfying, and nutritious meal.
❤️ Why you'll love cabbage rice
If you don’t like cauliflower or you need a change from the cauliflower-EVERYTHING that is usually synonymous with a keto or low carb diet, then try this cabbage rice stir fry instead. Cabbage rice tastes slightly sweet, and it will quickly absorb the flavors from the vegetables and spices.
In this cabbage rice dish, cabbage is finely chopped or shredded using a food processor until it resembles rice grains. It is similar to cauliflower rice but slightly less crunchy. Cabbage is also a great way to add more fiber, vitamin c, and vitamin b6 to your diet, so keep this recipe in your rotation!
🥘 Equipment Used
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
To make cabbage rice, you'll need a food processor, a large nonstick skillet, and a wooden spoon or silicone spatula.
🧾 Ingredients Used
- Vegetables: This includes cabbage, red bell peppers, and scallions (green onions). Bell peppers give a slightly sweet and pleasant flavor to this recipe and provide a slight crunch as well. I use half a red bell pepper, but you can use a green bell pepper instead.
- Olive oil: You'll need this to saute the vegetables, but you can use avocado oil or coconut oil instead.
- Spices: Bouillon powder, black pepper, and salt.
🔪 How to Cook Cabbage Rice
- First, wash and pat dry the cabbage. You don’t want it to be too soggy, so this step is important to absorb excess water.
- Chop the cabbage into medium pieces with a knife. Also, chop the red bell pepper and scallions.
- Then, add the chopped cabbage to your food processor and use the chop/pulse function to shred it into smaller pieces. Set aside when done.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat, then add the chopped scallions and bell pepper and stir. Frying the red bell pepper infuses this dish with incredible flavors you will totally fall in love with.
- Add the cabbage, black pepper, bouillon powder, and salt, and stir till it begins to soften.
- Stir the cabbage mixture intermittently and leave on medium heat for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe was made using green cabbage and not red cabbage. I am not sure how it will turn out with red cabbage because I didn't try it, but if you do, leave a comment or tag me on Instagram, as I would love to see your creation!
📹 Recipe Video
Click on the image below to watch me make this recipe from start to finish on YouTube!
🥫 Storing and Reheating
Allow the hot cabbage rice mixture to cool to room temperature, and then add to airtight containers and store in the fridge for 3-5 days. If you are using this recipe for your meal prep, add the leftover rice to your individual meal prep containers and then add your favorite protein on top of the rice. To reheat, simply microwave the cabbage rice for 2-3 minutes or until hot.
💭 Tips and Variations
- After washing the cabbage before cutting, pat dry as much as you can with a soft cloth BEFORE you cut it to prevent it from becoming soggy.
- When shredding with the food processor, use the pulse function so you don't over-shred it, or it will become mushy.
- After adding the cabbage to your pan or skillet, leave uncovered. The cabbage will soften in no time, but you want as much water as possible to evaporate.
- For a little heat, feel free to add some green chilies, cayenne pepper, or red chili powder.
- This recipe was made using green cabbage and not red cabbage. I am not sure how it will turn out with red cabbage because I didn't try it, but if you do, leave a comment or tag me on Instagram, as I would love to see your creation!
🍽️ What can I eat cabbage rice with?
👩🍳 Frequently asked questions
You sure can! The bagged coleslaw mix sold in grocery stores is a convenient way to get this dish on the table quickly. I like to shred my vegetables when I have the time because everything tastes fresher and better than prepackaged.
Cabbage rice is made from shredded pieces of cabbage that are sauteed with olive oil, bell peppers, and scallions for additional flavor and nutrition. Riced cabbage is a great alternative to cauliflower rice, and it just might become your new favorite low carb side dish!
This cabbage rice recipe makes 3 servings and has 7g net carbs per serving (12g carbohydrates minus 5g dietary fiber).
- Wash the cabbage and pat dry.
- Chop the cabbage and place in the food processor.
- Use the chop function to shred it into smaller pieces.
- Chop the red bell pepper and scallions into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, then add the bell pepper and scallions and stir for a minute or two on medium-low heat.
- Add the cabbage, salt, black pepper, and bouillon powder and stir till it begins to soften.
- Stir and leave on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- After washing the cabbage before cutting, pat dry as much as you can with a soft cloth BEFORE you cut it, to prevent it from becoming soggy.
- When shredding with the food processor, use the pulse function so you don't over-shred it or it will become mushy.
- After adding the cabbage to your pan or skillet, leave uncovered. The cabbage will soften in no time but you want as much water as possible to evaporate.