Vegetable beef soup with cabbage is a low carb, keto-friendly, hearty meal loaded with beef and vegetables that will keep you warm and satisfied! And with only 2 net carbs, this is a soup you can’t pass up.
I love to eat soups and eat as much as I can because they are so rich and flavorful. I like that I can throw different combinations of vegetables and beef or chicken and can whip up a delicious satisfying soup. It is even more necessary and satisfying when the weather is cooler as it helps warm you up from inside.
Vegetable soup is not only deliciously satisfying, but they also provide a host of health benefits due to the vitamins and minerals from the vegetables. For instance, this soup contains 42% of the daily recommended amount of Vitamin C in just one serving!
It also helps with weight loss and portion control as it makes you feel full really fast and curbs overeating.
This recipe is made using the instant pot but you can use any regular pressure cooker. You can also use a slow cooker but it will take much longer.
To keep it low carb, I only used vegetables with a low carb count but still enough to provide rich and strong flavors.
Ingredients used for vegetable beef soup with cabbage
Stew beef chunks: These are beef chunks that are usually cut into cubes and become soft and chewy when cooked. But any tender beef cut will do as long as you cut it into chunks and remove the bones.
Vegetables: Red bell pepper, scallions, garlic, cabbage.
Tomato paste: Instead of using fresh tomatoes, the tomato paste lends a stronger, more concentrated flavor.
Spices: I use cayenne pepper, bouillon powder, thyme, salt, ground crayfish. Ground crayfish is popularly used to spice up soups and stews in West Africa and gives this a bit of an earthy, traditional flavor. You can leave it out or substitute with coconut aminos for a delicious, umami flavor.
Olive oil: This is used to brown the beef. Browning the beef is a necessary step because this gives the beef an incredible depth of flavor.
Meat stock/broth: You will need stock, broth or water or a combination of either. I used 2 cups of stock and 2 cups of water. You can use more or less of either but you might have to adjust the salt and spices for the right blend of flavors you desire.
How to make vegetable beef soup with cabbage
Prepare the vegetables by chopping the cabbage, scallions, garlic and bell pepper. For the scallions, separate the bulb from the leaves.
The leaves will be added at the final step. Cut the beef into chunks if not already cut. I like to cut it into bite-size so I can just scoop into my mouth when eating the soup!
Turn on the instant pot and switch to Saute mode. If you have one of the more popular instant pots like the Instant Pot DUO60, this is the button on the lower-left corner.
Add the olive oil, then add the beef. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and stir the beef till it is browned. If you have a smaller instant pot, you might need to do this in batches.
Note: when using the saute function, the lid MUST be left open. The instant pot is quite deep so you don’t have to worry about spills or splashes.
If you are not using an instant pot, you can use a skillet to do this. You just have to brown the meat on high heat for a few minutes till it is browned.
Add the scallion bulb and garlic and stir till softened.
Add the bell pepper, tomato paste, cayenne pepper, bouillon powder, thyme, and salt. Also add your stock, broth or water.
You might have to adjust the flavor depending on the liquid you add, but you will have the chance to do this later.
Press the manual mode on the Instant pot and set it to 45 minutes. It will take 10 minutes for the instant pot to come to pressure. Make sure the vent is set to sealing.
After the instant pot counts down 45 minutes, do a quick release. Basically use a wooden spoon to push the vent at the top from the sealing to the venting position.
Be careful so you don’t get burned! I like to keep a respectful distance when doing this.
Open the instant pot and check the flavor. If you want, add more salt and spices if you are not satisfied. Add the scallion leaves and cabbage and cover the instant pot for 5 to 10 more minutes.
It automatically switches to the warming function but still has enough heat to soften the cabbage. If you want it crunchier, leave it for only 5 minutes. Your vegetable beef soup with cabbage is ready to eat!
What can I eat this vegetable soup with?
Or check this collection of yummy, savory low carb soups to keep you warm and cozy!
Other Helpful Resources
Vegetable Beef Soup with Cabbage
- 1.5 lbs stew beef
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cabbage chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 scallion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp bouillon powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp ground crayfish, substitute with 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- pinch of black pepper for browning the meat
- pinch of salt for browning the meat
- 2 cups meat stock
- 2 cups water
- Chop the cabbage, scallions, garlic and bell pepper.
- Separate the scallion bulb from the leaves.
- Cut the beef into chunks if not already cut.
- Turn on the instant pot and switch to Saute mode.
- Add the olive oil, then add the beef.
- Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and stir the beef till it is browned.
- Add the scallion bulb and garlic and stir till softened.
- Add the bell pepper, tomato paste, cayenne pepper, bouillon powder, thyme, and salt.
- Pour in 2 cups of meat stock, and 2 cups of water.
- Press the manual mode on the Instant pot and set it to 45 minutes.
- After the instant pot counts down, do a quick release.
- Add more salt and spices if you desire.
- Add the scallion leaves and cabbage and cover the instant pot for 5 - 10 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Brown the beef in batches if you have a smaller instant pot.
- Always leave the instant pot lid OFF when using the saute function.
- It will take 10 minutes for the instant pot to come to pressure when using the manual mode.
- Use a wooden spoon to switch the vent to the venting position for the quick release. Be careful not to get burned!
- If you want a slightly crunchier cabbage, only leave it for 5 minutes in the end.
- You can substitute the ground crayfish with 1tbsp of coconut aminos for umami flavor.