This palmini pasta shrimp stir fry is the real deal! It tastes so much like regular pasta, you would not believe this is low carb.
If you miss pasta or noodles on a low carb diet, there are a few options that scratch that itch well. Zucchini noodles, or zoodles, spaghetti squash, and shirataki noodles are the most popular ones. But I think palmini pasta comes closest to the real thing.
If you see someone on a keto diet eating this pasta, you might think they have abandoned their keto way of life because it looks deceptively like regular pasta. And it tastes amazing too!
What is palmini pasta?
Palmini pasta (also called palmini noodles) is made from Heart of Palm, which is a unique vegetable that comes from the center of specific varieties of palm trees. For this reason, palmini pasta is sometimes known as ‘Heart of Palm Pasta’.
Is palmini pasta low carb?
Yes, it is! A container of palmini pasta has 12g of carbs and 6g of fiber, bringing the total to 6 net carbs. So you can eat the whole container without going over your carbs for the day.
Palmini pasta is very low in calories if you’re tracking, and has only 60 calories per container. It is also dairy-free and gluten-free.
- Palmini Pasta: I get it from Amazon, but you can also buy it from Walmart, Whole Foods or Sprouts. It comes in a container and is pre-soaked in water.
- Shrimps: You can use fresh, frozen, raw or pre-cooked.
- Olive Oil: I use olive oil to sauté the shrimps, but you can use your favorite clear oil.
- Vegetables: I use fresh chopped spinach for this recipe and scallions for garnishing.
- Spices: black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, bouillon powder, salt and pepper flakes to garnish. You can use your favorite spices too!
How to prepare palmini pasta shrimp stir fry
First, you need to prepare the palmini pasta. Unlike shirataki noodles, I don’t think the smell of palmini pasta is fishy in any way and it didn’t really bother me. I just rinsed well under running water and placed it in a colander to drain.
If the smell bothers you, according to the manufacturer, soak in almond or coconut milk for thirty minutes and drain.
Chop the spinach into medium-sized pieces. You actually don’t have to chop it up, you can leave it whole and cook with it like that. I have done it when I’m in a rush and it still turned out great.
Put the shrimps in a mixing bowl sprinkle some salt and pepper and mix it together. Add the olive oil to a pan and when hot, add the shrimps.
Stir on high heat until it is well done. Pour in the palmini noodles, add the black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and bouillon powder, and stir everything together. Taste for salt and adjust if needed.
Let it cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Then, pour in the chopped spinach and stir till it’s all mixed in.
When the spinach gets wilted, your low carb shrimp pasta is ready to serve and eat!
This hearts of palm pasta recipe serves 2 and contains 5 net carbs per serving.
What can I eat Palmini Pasta with?
Palmini pasta is an excellent keto noodle replacement and you can eat it with sauces or stir-fries. This palmini pasta shrimp stir fry is a whole meal in itself so I like to eat it as is. You can also add more cooked protein and vegetables if you wish.
This is one of my favorite dinners and it works well for special occasions like Valentine's day!
Check out these other low carb noodle dishes!
Need more low carb stir-fry recipes? These recipes are so amazingly delicious!
Palmini Pasta Shrimp Stir Fry
- Wash and drain palmini noodles and set aside.
- Chop spinach into medium-sized pieces.
- Mix shrimp with salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil to a pan, pour in the shrimps when hot, and stir fry till done.
- Pour in palmini noodles, black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and bouillon powder.
- Mix together and add salt if needed.
- Let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in chopped spinach and stir till it’s all mixed in.
- When the spinach is wilted, it’s ready to eat.
- Garnish with scallions and red pepper flakes and enjoy!