This keto egg roll in a bowl has a deliciously bold flavor you will not be able to resist. Once you try this deconstructed egg roll bowl once, you will be completely hooked!
❤️ Why you'll love it
This keto crack slaw is so pleasantly satisfying you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it on your keto diet. It is also so filling you don’t need to eat it with anything else.
The best part is that this recipe is ready from start to finish in about 20 minutes and has tons of fresh vegetables. It is so great for those busy weeknights when you have little energy for an elaborate meal but need something quick and nutritious.
There are many variations of this easy recipe, but I decided to put my own spicy kick on it!
🥘 Equipment Used
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This recipe couldn't be easier; all you need is a large skillet, a cutting board, a chef's knife, and a large spoon for stirring.
🧾 Ingredients Used
- Shredded cabbage: You can shred your cabbage yourself using a food processor or thinly cut it with a knife. But for speed, I like to buy a bag of coleslaw mix that contains pre-shredded green cabbage and red cabbage.
- Ground turkey / Ground beef: You can easily substitute with other ground meats like ground pork or ground turkey, and the result will be the same.
- Other vegetables: onions, garlic, red bell pepper, and scallions.
- Spices: coconut aminos, thyme, ginger powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt. If you are not on a strict ketogenic diet, you can substitute the coconut aminos with soy sauce.
- Sesame oil: Sesame oil provides a slightly nutty flavor to this dish. You can substitute with olive oil or avocado oil if that’s all you have, but it won't add the same flavor.
- Red pepper flakes and sesame seeds: These are used to garnish and are optional but they really add to the flavor of this dish!
🔪 How To Make This Recipe
- Chop the vegetables - red bell pepper, scallions, and onions, and mince the fresh garlic. Then heat some sesame oil in a skillet.
- Add in the ground turkey/ground beef. It will be one huge clump, so it helps to gently break it apart using a wooden spoon. Add some salt and pepper and stir. Let it cook for a few minutes and stir intermittently till the turkey gets done and begins to turn brown.
- When it's done, add the chopped vegetables (bell peppers, scallions, and cabbage). Stir and let cook for 5-10 minutes. In a separate bowl, combine coconut aminos, and the rest of the spices - ginger powder, thyme, and cayenne pepper. Pour in the sauce and mix thoroughly with the ground turkey and vegetables.
- Now will be a good time to taste for salt and adjust the spices. I like mine really spicy so sometimes I add some extra cayenne pepper. Let it cook for just a few minutes more until the spices are well blended in.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes and sesame seeds, if you like, and serve!
🥫 Storing and Reheating
This is a great meal prep recipe as it keeps well in the fridge for about 5 days if stored in an airtight container. To reheat, microwave it for 4-5 minutes before adding your garnishes. You can also freeze your leftovers for later, but the cooked vegetables will lose some of their texture after thawing in the fridge overnight.
💭 Tips and Variations
- If using frozen meat, take it out of the freezer the day before and let it thaw in the fridge.
- I noticed that ground beef seems to have a bit more liquid than ground turkey, so if there is a lot of liquid in the pan, drain some of it before you add the bell peppers and cabbage.
- You can omit the cayenne pepper if you don’t want it spicy.
- If you are going to chop your own cabbage, add about 10 minutes to the total cook time.
🍽️ What can I eat this recipe with?
This delicious keto egg roll in a bowl recipe is a complete and healthy meal on its own! It needs nothing else. If you'd like to make it for your whole family, try toning down the heat and serving it with my super spicy Pili Pili sauce or this creamy spicy mayo. So good!
👩🍳 Frequently asked questions
This keto egg roll in a bowl recipe is great on a low-carb diet. One serving of this recipe has 4 net carbs (6g total carbohydrates - 2 g fiber) and makes 6 servings.
This delicious recipe tastes just like the filling of a traditional egg roll without the egg roll wrapper. It's loaded with fresh vegetables and delicious Asian flavors like ginger, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Since it doesn't have the high carb egg roll wrapper, it's perfect for enjoying on a ketogenic diet.
Keto Crack Slaw (Egg Roll in a Bowl)
- 1 lb coleslaw shredded cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ red bell pepper
- 2 scallions
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- sesame seeds to garnish
- red pepper flakes to garnish
- Chop the cabbage if you're not using a pre-shredded mix.
- Chop the vegetables - red bell pepper, scallions, and onions, and mince the garlic.
- Heat sesame oil in a skillet.
- Add onions and garlic and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground beef/turkey and break into pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Stir till the ground beef browns.
- When it's done, add the chopped vegetables (bell peppers, scallions, and cabbage).
- Stir and let cook for 5-10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut aminos, ginger powder, thyme, and cayenne pepper.
- Add in the sauce and mix thoroughly with the ground beef and vegetables.
- Taste for salt and spices and adjust accordingly.
- Let cook for a few minutes until the spices are well blended in.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
- This recipe serves 6 and contains 4 net carbs per serving.
- If you’re going to use frozen ground turkey, take it out of the freezer the day before and let defrost in the fridge.
- I noticed that ground beef seems to have a bit more liquid than ground turkey so if there is a lot of liquid in the pan, drain some of it before you add the bell peppers and cabbage.
- You can omit the cayenne pepper if you don’t want it spicy.
- If you are going to chop the cabbage yourself, add about 10 mins to the total cook time.