These delicious BBQ shrimp skewers are bursting with flavor! Made with plump, juicy shrimp and my spicy homemade barbecue sauce, they're perfect for throwing together quick, healthy dinners all summer long.
❤️ Why you'll love it
Shrimp is one of my favorite proteins, and this BBQ shrimp skewers recipe is a real treat the whole family will love. They only take about 20-30 minutes and make a tasty appetizer or side dish for tailgating, game day, summer cookouts, July 4th parties, or a weeknight dinner.
The real secret is my homemade BBQ sauce, which adds a ton of flavor to these shrimp kebabs without the sugar.
🥘 Equipment Used
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
To make these shrimp kabobs, you will need skewers to hold the shrimp together. You can use either metal or wood (bamboo), but I prefer metal skewers because they are reusable. Cleanup is also a breeze, as I can put them in the dishwasher when I am done.
I like this set from Amazon, which comes with a grill rack set and additional bamboo skewers.
You can make this amazing shrimp recipe in an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan.
🧾 Ingredients Used
- Shrimps: For best results, use fresh, raw shrimp. If your shrimps are frozen, you can quickly defrost them using an air fryer. I use jumbo shrimp for this recipe, but medium will work too.
- Black pepper, olive oil, and kosher salt: I use these spices to flavor the tender shrimp before grilling lightly. You only need just a bit because the barbecue sauce will still be added on the grill. Feel free to use Old Bay seasoning or another spice mix if you prefer!
- Keto Spicy BBQ Sauce: This sauce is so good, you won't believe it's low carb! Save a little extra as a dipping sauce for the heat lovers.
🔪 How To Make This Recipe
- If you are using wooden skewers, soak them for about 30 minutes before use. Skip this step if you are using a metal skewer.
- Rinse the shrimps under running water and pat dry. Alternatively, you can leave them on a colander to drain. Add about a tablespoon of oil and some salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Thread shrimp on the skewers, leaving some space between them. I do about 5 shrimps on each one.
- The best way is to put in the shrimps so they form a 'C' shape. This prevents them from falling off the skewer.
- Place the shrimp skewers on the hot grill and brush some of the barbecue sauce on both sides. Grill the shrimps for 6-8 minutes on each side or until the shrimps are done and no longer pink.
- Add as much spicy barbecue sauce as you like. Remember, the sauce is quite spicy, so only go overboard if you can handle it.
- Top up with green onions or your favorite herbs. Serve and enjoy!
🥫 Storing and Reheating
This easy grilled shrimp recipe tastes best if eaten on the same day, and this recipe can be scaled up or down easily. Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for a day or two.
To reheat, simply microwave under a cover for a few minutes. They might splatter a bit because of the barbecue sauce.
💭 Tips and Variations
- Your cooking time will vary on your grill and also the size of the shrimp. You'll have to watch them closely so they do not burn.
- If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 mins before use to keep them from burning on the grill.
- Since raw shrimp keep for 1-2 days, prep the skewers the day before a big party for easy grilling.
- Serve with lemon wedges for lemon juice, or add some lime juice for a pop of fresh citrus flavor.
- Add Worcestershire sauce or some soy sauce for extra flavor.
🍽️ What can I eat this recipe with?
You can eat barbecue shrimp as an appetizer or finger food. They also make a delicious meal any night of the week when you add a low-carb salad like this broccoli bacon salad or keto coleslaw for a main dish. You can even add them to shrimp tacos. Try serving them with grilled vegetable skewers or asparagus, broccoli, or bell pepper.
I also like to add some hot sauce like this African pepper sauce.
👩🍳 Frequently asked questions
For this recipe, raw and fresh shrimp work best, not frozen. If you use frozen shrimps, there is a chance it might be a bit too soft when defrosted and that might be a challenge when threading them on the skewers.
I use about a pound and a half of medium-sized shrimps, so if you go with smaller or larger shrimp, you'll have to adjust accordingly.
I also buy the shrimps peeled and deveined. It might be cheaper to buy it intact and peel it yourself, but I like to save time when I can.
The shrimps I used had the tails off, but you can leave it on if that is your preference. Some prefer to grab on the tail when eating shrimps. I like to throw them inside my mouth!
For a perfect dinner that comes together quickly, brush fresh shrimp with olive oil, black pepper, and salt. Thread them onto your favorite skewers and brush each side with BBQ side. Grill on an outdoor grill set to medium heat for 6-8 minutes per side. Brush again with more sauce, and enjoy!
Yes, you sure can! The steps are the same up to the point when you thread the shrimps on the skewers.
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Line a baking sheet with some foil paper, then place the shrimp skewers on the baking sheet.
3. Cook for 15 minutes or until done, flipping halfway.
4. Coat with extra BBQ sauce.
BBQ Shrimp Skewers
- Rinse the shrimps and let drain or pat dry.
- Add some olive oil, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Pass the shrimps through the skewers, leaving a little space between them.
How to make grilled shrimp skewers on the grill
- Place the shrimp skewers on the grill and brush some of the barbecue sauce on both sides.
- Grill the shrimps for 6-8 minutes on each side or until the shrimps are done and no longer pink.
- Add as much spicy barbecue sauce as you like.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to make grilled shrimp skewers in the oven
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Line a baking sheet with some foil paper, then place the shrimp skewers on the baking sheet.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until done, flipping halfway.
- Coat with extra BBQ sauce.
- Your cooking time will vary on your grill and also the size of the shrimps. You'll have to watch it closely, so it does not burn.
- If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 mins before use.